Door-to-door Scam Alert issued by Stillwater PD
Mike Seals - March 4, 2021 9:20 am
(STILLWATER, OKLAHOMA / March 4, 2021) – The Stillwater Police Department reminds you that the arrival of warm weather brings individuals to our community who intend to scam our citizens. The scammers will go door-to-door soliciting home projects that range from roof replacement to driveway repairs. They typically drive vehicles with business markings on the door and tools in the bed of a pickup or pulling construction-style trailers.
These individuals will provide a low-price quote to complete the repairs. Most of the time, the price they quote sounds too good to be true. They will ask for a portion or all of the payment to be paid in advance. Once they collect the money, they will move on to the next possible victim. Often, these companies will have out-of-state telephone numbers, and their vehicles and trailers will have out-of-state tags.
You can protect yourself with the following tips:
- Most reputable construction companies do not participate in door-to-door solicitation.
- Collect all the company information and attempt to verify the validity of the company. If you cannot validate the business, then do not enter into any agreement with them.
- Contact the Better Business Bureau, (405) 239-6081, to see if they have information on the business. If they do not then it is recommended not to enter into any agreement with them.
- If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is not the deal for you.
- You can always contact the police department to inquire and seek assistance.