Unprecedented Number of Unemployment Claims Processed
Mike Seals - June 4, 2020 2:14 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY – Following Monday’s press conference announcing a conservative estimate that 29% of the agency’s backlog had been processed over the weekend, the agency has some additional data on the unprecedented number of claims OESC processed.
“These figures are welcome news to the people who have been waiting for months to see their benefits arrive in their bank accounts,” said Interim Executive Director Shelley Zumwalt. “When people are in crisis and desperate, bold action is needed. I’m glad we have the talent and knowledge at OESC and through our agency partnership with OMES to enable us to execute and deliver on this promise to the people of the state.
“To process 180,000 claim weeks in one weekend is a staggering accomplishment and a needed leap forward for the agency,” Zumwalt added. “As I said Monday, this is not us planting our flag and saying we are done. This is my commitment, and this agency’s commitment, to our claimants that we are taking decisive action to make this right.”
Updated Claims Data as of 6/1:
- 71% of the backlog present when Zumwalt named Interim Executive Director was processed.
- Regular Unemployment Claim Statistics
- Over 50,000 total UI claims processed this week over last
- 13,000 UI claims, previously held in review, were processed last week.
- 14,000 additional UI claims were approved this week over last.
- 35,000 additional UI claims were denied this week over last, allowing those citizens to now file for PUA.
- As a result, the agency was able to process an additional 180,000 weeks of claims, resulting in an additional $69 million of benefits paid out this week over last week.
- The agency has reduced our backlog of claims needing a review to under 3,000.
- PUA statistics
- 4,000 additional PUA claims were approved this week over last.
- As of today, the agency has seen an additional 5,700 PUA claims approved. It is expected that the number of approved PUA claims to continue to increase throughout the week.