Two Ponca City Locations New to Oklahoma National Register Listings
Mike Seals - October 14, 2020 10:07 am
OKLAHOMA CITY — The Oklahoma Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office (OKSHPO) is pleased to announce additional National Register of Historic Places listings for Oklahoma. The National Register of Historic Places is our nation’s official list of properties significant in our past.
The Jack and Helen Cleary House, located at 13 Hillcrest Drive in Ponca City, Kay County, was built between 1926 and 1927 on land conveyed to the Cleary Family by prominent Ponca City oilman E. W. Marland. Known locally as the “House of Seven Gables,” the Jack and Helen Cleary House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places for Architecture as an outstanding local example of Colonial-style architecture designed by renowned Oklahoma architect John Duncan Forsyth.
The Marland Estate Inc. Gatehouse (also known as the Van Cleave and Associates Building) at 747 N. 14th St. in Ponca City, Kay County, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places for Architecture as an outstanding local example of simplified, non-residential use of the Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival style designed by Oklahoma architect John Duncan Forsyth. Built in 1927, the Gatehouse provided access to the nearby Marland Mansion (NRIS #73001561) and the surrounding estate. During construction of the Marland Mansion, the Gatehouse functioned as a studio for architects and craftsmen. It went on serve as the private office for Ponca City oil magnate E. W. Marland.
The Oklahoma State Historic Preservation Office is a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society. The mission of the Oklahoma Historical Society is to collect, preserve and share the history and culture of the state of Oklahoma and its people. Founded in 1893 by members of the Territorial Press Association, the OHS maintains museums, historic sites and affiliates across the state. Through its research archives, exhibits, educational programs and publications the OHS chronicles the rich history of Oklahoma. For more information about the OHS, please visit www.okhistory.org.
13 Hillcrest Drive:
Marland Gate House: