Two more properties added to the National Register of Historic Places
Ponca City Now - February 7, 2020 2:47 pm
The City of Ponca City has added two more properties to the National Register of Historic Places.
They are the Jack and Helen Cleary House, 13 Hillcrest Drive, and the Marland Estate, Inc., Gatehouse, at 747 North 14th Street.
The Historic Preservation Advisory Panel of the City of Ponca City works with City staff to select properties that they think are eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Once the properties are chosen, they are forwarded on to the State Historic Preservation Office to determine their eligibility for listing. If the selected properties are deemed eligible for listing, the City grant department solicits proposals from a list of approved consultants and awards a contract to the lowest and best proposal received.
Nineteen Ponca City properties have been added to the National Register of Historic Places just in the past 10 years.
Projects like these are made possible by the Certified Local Government grant funding the City of Ponca City is awarded each year. These funds are used to perform planning type activities to further the local historic preservation efforts. The City of Ponca City has been designated a “Preserve America” community for its commitment to preserving and using its cultural and natural resources for the benefit and enjoyment of our community.
Jack & Helen Cleary House “House of Seven Gables” – 13 Hillcrest Drive
The residence located at 13 Hillcrest Drive was designed by John Duncan Forsyth and built between 1926 and 1927 on land conveyed to the Cleary Family by prominent Ponca City oilman, E.W. Marland.
Known locally as the “House of Seven Gables,” the John and Helen Cleary House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion C as an outstanding local example of Colonial Style architecture designed by renowned Oklahoma architect John Duncan Forsyth.
Marland Estate, Inc. Gatehouse – 747 North 14th Street
The Marland Estate, Inc. Gatehouse was listed in the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion C, as an outstanding local example of simplified, non-residential use of the Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival style designed by prominent Oklahoma architect John Duncan Forsyth. Built in 1927, the Gatehouse provided access to the nearby Marland Mansion and the surrounding estate. During construction of the Marland Mansion, the Gatehouse functioned as a studio for architects and craftsmen. It went on serve as the private office for Ponca City oil magnate E. W. Marland.