The OSSAA has enacted a new rule, Suspension from Athletic Activities for Unsporting Behavior Rule, in efforts to improve sportsmanship at high school and middle school athletic events.
Ponca City Public Schools is an OSSAA member school.
Any “egregious” unsportsmanlike behavior by Coaches, Players, or Fans two or more times in the same season / same sport will cause the suspension of the team and/or individual from the rest of the season.
The OSSAA cited some the following examples of “egregious” unsportsmanlike behavior:
– Fans constantly verbally attacking officials.
– Fans physically attacking officials.
– Fans attacking other fans at athletic events.
– Coaches physically attacking or verbally berating officials.
– Players getting into fights with other players while shaking hands at the end of contests.
– Student sections verbally chanting inappropriate or demeaning chants at individuals, teams, or officials.