Some victims dissatisfied with Tate Publishing plea deal
The Associated Press and The Journal Record - December 29, 2018 9:25 am
(Information from: The Journal Record, http://www.journalrecord.com)
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) – Many people defrauded by a family-owned publishing company in Oklahoma are upset with a plea deal and doubt they’ll get fully reimbursed.
The Journal Record reports that Attorney General Mike Hunter’s office recently accepted a plea deal settling numerous felony charges against 70-year-old Richard Tate and his son, 38-year-old Ryan Tate. They owned Tate Publishing Co. and were accused of defrauding thousands of authors and musicians.
A Massachusetts-based author says some authors are upset that the Tates aren’t facing jail time.
The company agreed to make monthly payments for the next 20 years toward a victim restitution fund of at least $825,000. Hunter says that dollar amount could grow as more victims come forward.
Hunter’s office says it has received more than 2,200 complaints so far from victims around the world.