Ponca City Library, 515 East Grand.
Are you 24 yrs. old or older and would like a chance to earn your high school diploma? Now is your chance.
Ponca City Library Offers 5 Scholarships for the Free Accredited High School Diploma Program.
The Ponca City Library will award 5 scholarships for Gale Presents: Excel Adult High School to residents who qualify. The Ponca City Library is offering 24 years or older a second chance at earning a high school diploma through Gale Presents: Excel Adult High School. The program, provided to public libraries by Gale, part of Cengage Group, is designed to help adults obtain their high school diploma entirely online, as well as prepare them for college or the workplace.
Currently, more than 11.7% of adults 25 years or older in Ponca City don’t have a high school diploma or equivalent.
Even during the best economic times, adults with less than a high school diploma face challenges to achieve success and financial stability. During an economic slowdown, it’s even more apparent how interconnected education, earning potential, and unemployment can be. During the COVID-19 pandemic, this population suffered the highest unemployment rate and lowest median weekly earnings compared to all other education levels. In today’s competitive workforce, a high school diploma is essential for financial health and career advancement.
“This is an incredible opportunity for our community to support residents in advancing their education and achieving their career goals,” said Holly LaBossiere, Ponca City Library Director. “By offering Gale Presents: Excel Adult High School, we’re setting the stage for future workforce and economic growth.”
“We are proud to support this life-changing community effort by the Ponca City Library in offering Gale Presents: Excel Adult High School. Earning a high school diploma leads to better jobs with larger salaries; attending college; and most importantly, a feeling of pride that comes with achieving your dreams,” said Paul Gazzolo, senior vice president and general manager for Gale.
A prerequisite course must be completed with a 70 percent or higher and within two weeks. During the prerequisite course, you will:
• Explore the online learning environment to determine if you are comfortable with this self-paced approach to learning.
• Assess whether the Excel Adult High School online program best meets your educational needs, or if alternative options for high school completion are more appropriate.
• Demonstrate to the library your commitment to furthering your education through the successful completion of the full Excel Adult High School program.
Those who successfully complete the prerequisite course will be eligible for a scholarship award. Prospective students will be contacted by the library to discuss their application into the program and to schedule an interview at the library. A determination will be made regarding the scholarship award by the library’s enrollment team after the interview.
Features of the program:
• The accredited high school diploma is accepted by colleges, employers, and the military (not an equivalency exam).
• The 21.5-credit curriculum is aligned to national standards. Learners can select from more than 100 core academic, elective, and college-level courses.
• There’s no cost to eligible students.
• The program is 100% online, with 24/7 access to courses.
• The schedule is flexible and self-paced learners can finish in 24 months or less. Students can graduate sooner with transfer credits.
• Transfer credits are accepted from previous high school(s) and passed portions of the GED®, HiSet®, or TASC exams.
• Unlimited one-on-one tutoring sessions and support from success coaches is offered.
• Course translations and read-aloud tools for English language learners are available.
• Students can earn up to 21 free college credits through ACE (American Council on Education) courses.
• The counseling team can assist with course selection, college planning, or career guidance.
Call the Library for questions at 767-0345.