Ponca City, OK

Now: 79 °F

Currently: Fair

Hi: 79 °F | Lo: 46 °F

Monday

Hi: 69 °F 

Lo: 39 °F

Tuesday

Hi: 69 °F 

Lo: 47 °F

Wednesday

Hi: 76 °F 

Lo: 47 °F

Thursday

Hi: 50 °F 

Lo: 37 °F

Friday

Hi: 58 °F 

Lo: 40 °F

Pipeline opponents ask judge to strike down President’s permit

The Associated Press - April 6, 2019 8:58 am

BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) – Opponents of the long-stalled Keystone XL oil pipeline asked a federal court Friday in a lawsuit to declare that the President acted illegally when he issued a new permit for the project in a bid to get around an earlier court ruling.
In November, U.S. District Judge Brian Morris ruled that the White House administration did not fully consider potential oil spills and other impacts when it approved the pipeline in 2017.
The President’s new permit, issued last week, is intended to circumvent that ruling and kick-start the proposal to ship crude oil from the tar sands of western Canada to U.S. refineries.
White House officials have said the presidential permit is immune from court review. However, legal experts say that’s an open question, and that the case could further test the limits of the President’s use of executive power to get his way.
Unlike previous orders from the President involving immigration and other matters, his action on Keystone XL came after a court had already weighed in and blocked the administration’s plans.
“This is somewhat dumbfounding, the idea that a President would claim he can just say, ‘Never mind, I unilaterally call a do-over,'” said William Buzbee, a constitutional scholar and professor at Georgetown University Law Center.
The pipeline proposed by Calgary-based TransCanada has become a flashpoint in the debate over fossil fuel use and climate change, in addition to drawing increasing concerns over the risk of spills.
Opponents point out that burning crude from the tar sands of Western Canada would make climate change worse. The $8 billion project’s supporters say it would create thousands of jobs and could be operated safely.
The line would carry up to 830,000 barrels (35 million gallons) of crude daily along a 1,184-mile (1,900-kilometer) path from Canada to Nebraska.
Stephan Volker, an attorney for the environmental groups that filed Friday’s lawsuit, said that the President was trying to “evade the rule of law” with the new permit. “We have confidence that the federal courts-long the protectors of our civil liberties-will once again rise to the challenge and enforce the Constitution and the laws of this land,” Volker said.
The pipeline’s route passes through the ancestral homelands of the Rosebud Sioux in central South Dakota, as well as the Gros Ventre and Assiniboine Tribes in Montana. Earlier this week, a court granted the tribes’ request to intervene in an appeal of Morris’ November ruling that was filed by TransCanada. That case is pending before the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
Tribal officials contend that a spill from the line could damage a South Dakota water supply system that serves more than 51,000 people including on the Rosebud, Pine Ridge, and Lower Brule Indian Reservations.
An existing TransCanada pipeline, also called Keystone, suffered a 2017 spill that released almost 10,000 barrels (407,000 gallons) of oil near Amherst, South Dakota.

 

Latest Stories

Ponca City resident involved in Cleveland County personal injury collision

accident

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol reported that a personal injury collision occurred at about 1:32 a.m. Sunday...

Oklahoma’s Sooner Schooner tips over on field; no injuries

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) – University of Oklahoma officials say that there were no injuries to riders...

OKC Archbishop added to clemency supporters for death row inmate

Clemency sought for Oklahoma death row inmate in man’s death (Information from: The Oklahoman, http://www.newsok.com) OKLAHOMA...