PCFD Reminder: Fireworks Prohibited within City Limits
Mike Seals - June 21, 2020 10:09 pm
FIREWORKS PROHIBITED WITHIN PONCA CITY
The Ponca City Fire Department strongly urges the public to use extra caution during the upcoming Fourth of July holiday period. Each year thousands of serious fireworks-related injuries occur across the country. Sparklers, firecrackers, and bottle rockets are the leading cause of those injuries.
Fireworks are not allowed to be discharged within the city limits of Ponca City.
If using fireworks in an area where they are not prohibited, be sure to follow the following important safety tips:
- Keep a bucket of water nearby in case of a firework malfunctions or fire occurs.
- Read and follow all fireworks warnings and instructions.
- Never allow children to play with, or ignite, fireworks. Sparklers which some consider to be “safe” for children, burn at extremely high temperatures and can easily ignite a child’s clothing. Children cannot understand the danger involved and cannot act appropriately in case of emergency.
- Be sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks. Never shoot a firework at or near another person.
- Only light fireworks on a smooth, flat surface, far away from any structures, dry leaves, or other flammable materials.
- Never try to relight fireworks that have not fully functioned. Instead, it should be soak with water and carefully discarded.
- Never ignite fireworks in a glass or metal container.
- Keep unused fireworks away from the area where fireworks are being ignited.
- Never have any portion of your body directly over a firework while lighting.
- Don’t experiment with homemade fireworks.