OSBI updates investigation on officer-involved shooting in Hugo
Ponca City Now - April 29, 2019 3:32 pm
William Devaughn Smith
The following update is based on an ongoing investigation, which continues to evolve as the OSBI interviews witnesses and collects evidence. The OSBI’s understanding of the facts and circumstances may change as additional witnesses are interviewed and evidence is collected and analyzed.
HUGO, OKLA. – The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is investigating an officer-involved shooting that occurred Friday, April 26, 2019 at approximately 2 p.m. in Hugo, Okla. What follows is today’s update (4/29/2019) on the investigation:
• William Devaughn Smith, 21 years old, was transferred from the Paris, Texas, police department to Hugo, Okla., on April 27, 2019. He was arrested in connection with the armed robbery of a Hugo Pizza Hut on April 11, 2019.
• Olivia Hill, who is in a relationship with Smith and the mother of the four children in the vehicle with Smith, was not in the vehicle at the time of the shooting.
• Three children, ages five, four and one, were injured and taken to a Tulsa-hospital with non-life threatening injuries. A fourth child, age three, did not sustain any injuries in the incident.
• Since the time of the incident on Friday afternoon, the OSBI has had agents on the ground collecting evidence and interviewing witnesses.
• Smith’s Choctaw County, Okla. booking photo is attached.
Next steps: The investigation will continue until it is complete, at which time a report will be written and submitted to the District Attorney’s office for review.