OSBI Statement Regarding Officer-Involved Shooting in McAlester
Mike Seals - December 31, 2020 11:25 pm
** The following update is based on an active and ongoing investigation. The OSBI’s initial understanding of the facts and circumstances may evolve over the course of the investigation as witnesses are interviewed and evidence is collected and analyzed. Upon completion of the OSBI investigation, agents will submit a report summarizing their investigation to the District Attorney’s Office. The District Attorney will determine whether or not to file charges. ***
McALESTER, Okla. – The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI) is investigating an officer-involved shooting that occurred in McAlester, Okla., Thursday afternoon.
Based on the OSBI’s initial investigation, this is what is known at this time:
• The McAlester Police Department received a 9-1-1 call that reported 40-year-old Nicholas Halkias was trying to harm himself. Halkias had left the residence where the call was made.
• Officers responded and found Halkias near the intersection of Main and Ottawa in McAlester.
• Halkias was armed and refused to obey officer’s commands to drop the weapon.
• Halkias advanced on officers causing one officer to discharge their weapon.
• Halkias was hit and was transported to McAlester Regional Hospital.
• Halkias was later transported to St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa for treatment of the gunshot wound, as well as numerous self-inflicted injuries. He is in critical condition.
There is no additional information to be released at this time.