Oklahoma Sees 116K Net Increase in Voter Registrations in 2020
Mike Seals - October 1, 2020 10:55 am
Deadline to Register for General Election is Oct. 9
(Oklahoma City) – Voter registration rolls in Oklahoma are surging ahead of the October 9 voter registration deadline, according to new statistics released today by the Oklahoma State Election Board.
Voter registration statistics for the month ending September 30 show a net increase of more than 116,000 registered voters since January 15 – including a net increase of more than 34,000 registered voters in the past month.
Highlights of the Oklahoma’s September 30 voter registration statistics include:
- Oklahoma has 2,206,208 total registered voters as of September 30, compared to 2,090,107 on January 15 and 2,172,079 on August 31.
- There are now 1,100,032 registered Republicans, 739,466 registered Democrats, 353,269 registered Independents, and 13,441 registered Libertarians.
- Since January 15, Republicans have seen a net gain of 91,463 registered voters, and are now about 49.9% of all registered voters.
- Democrats have seen a net increase of 1,210 registered voters since January 15, and are now 33.5% of all registered voters.
- There has been a net increase of 21,158 registered Independents since January 15, which are now 16% of all registered voters.
- Libertarians have seen a net increase of 2,270 registered voters since January 15, and are less than 1% of registered voters.
- Oklahoma’s 2020 voter registration statistics continue a decades-long trend of growth for Republicans and Independents as a percentage of the electorate.
- When Oklahoma started tracking voter registration statistics by party in 1960, Democrats were 82% of registered voters and Republicans were about 17%.
- In January of 2010, Democrats were 49% of Oklahoma’s registered voters and Republicans were a little less than 40%.
- Democrats were the largest political party in the state until January 2015, when they were surpassed by Republicans for the first time.
Historical voter registration data for the State of Oklahoma is available on the State Election Board website.
To learn more about registering to vote or updating your voter registration, visit the State Election Board’s voter registration page.
January 15 Voter Registration Statistics: https://www.ok.gov/elections/documents/20200115%20%20Current%20Registration%20Statistics%20by%20County%20(vr2420).pdf
1960 Voter Registration Statistics: https://www.ok.gov/elections/documents/reg60-95.pdf
January 15, 2010 Voter Registration Statistics: https://www.ok.gov/elections/documents/reg_0110.pdf
Historical Voter Registration Data: https://www.ok.gov/elections/Voter_Info/Voter_Registration_Statistics/index.html
State Election Board Voter Registration Page: https://www.ok.gov/elections/Voter_Info/Register_to_Vote/index.html