OK Food Banks Ask For Help
Mike Seals - August 27, 2020 10:01 am
Oklahoma Food Banks Ask Public to Take Action to Help Fight Hunger
Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma and Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma Promote Hunger Action Month
(OKLAHOMA CITY) – Aug. 27, 2020 – Asking for help isn’t easy but helping can be. During Hunger Action Month, join the Oklahoma Food Banks – the Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma and the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma – in taking action to end hunger.
Every September, the Feeding America nationwide network of food banks mobilize to take action in the fight against hunger.
“Everyone has a role to play in ending hunger and we need your help now more than ever,” said Deb Bunting, interim CEO of the Regional Food Bank. “Engage, advocate or donate. Even an action as small as spreading awareness on social media can make a big difference.”
Hunger Action Month comes at a crucial time in 2020 as Feeding America projects food security rates to climb higher than the peak of the Great Recession with more than an additional 215,000 Oklahomans facing hunger in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“With more people than ever needing food assistance, many for the first time, Hunger Action Month takes on added significance this year,” said Lori Long, CEO of the Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma. “Each action taken affirms our strong sense of community and our commitment to one another. Together we can paint Oklahoma orange.”
The Oklahoma Food Banks encourage the public to take action in one of the following ways:
- Wear orange, the color of hunger awareness, on Sept. 10 in recognition of Hunger Action Day
- Spread the word about Hunger Action Month on social media
- Sign up to take a virtual tour of the Regional Food Bank
- Learn more about the work of the Oklahoma Food Banks by visiting their websites
- Read Feeding America’s The Impact of Coronavirus on Food Insecurity
- Register to vote or register others to vote
- Contact your legislators and encourage them to support policies that address the root causes of hunger and poverty in Oklahoma
- Host a food and fund drive
- Donate to the Regional Food Bank’s Food for Kids Match
- Donate to the Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma’s Food for Kids Match
- Participate in TulsaPeople’s 14th Annual Restaurant Week benefiting Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma
About the Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma
Founded in 1981, the Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma is one of the largest, private hunger-relief organizations in Oklahoma. With branches in Tulsa and McAlester, it distributes food to people in need through a network of 730 Partner Agencies and direct service programs in 24 counties of eastern Oklahoma. Feeding programs include emergency food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters, disaster relief, child and senior feeding programs, and veteran’s initiatives. In addition, the Food Bank helps raise public awareness about hunger and the role of food banking in alleviating hunger. For more information, visit okfoodbank.org; find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/okfoodbank or follow us on Instagram @okfoodbank.org.