NOC, EOSC, Given ‘All Clear’ After Threats Received, Evacuation

Mike Seals - March 1, 2021 10:58 pm

The Tonkawa Police Department issued the following statement on their Facebook page Monday afternoon:

Northern Oklahoma College – Tonkawa Campus has been given the ALL CLEAR to return to normal campus activities.

Law Enforcement Agencies: Tonkawa Police Department, Kay County Sheriff Office, Blackwell Police Department, 8th District Major Crimes Unit, OSBI, Oklahoma Highway Patrol, Oklahoma City Police Department and OHP Bomb Squad spent the afternoon clearing the campus after threats of a “bomb” and “active shooter” were received by college personnel.

NOC had cancelled classes and evacuated the campus after the threat was received. Enid and Stillwater NOC Campuses took similar precautions. The Law Enforcement officials worked together to ensure the safety of faculty, students, and school buildings. After an extensive search, no devices or signs of intended violence were found on the campus.

The Tonkawa Public Schools were placed on lockdown as a precaution. Officers were placed on post at the schools for added security measures.

The investigation is ongoing as to who sent the threat. The Federal Bureau of Investigation was contacted to assist with the developing investigation.

The Tonkawa Police Department wishes to thank all of the agencies and NOC staff for their outstanding cooperation!

Additionally, as reported by News9, Law enforcement agencies are still investigating bomb threats that were sent to Eastern Oklahoma State College campuses. The threat didn’t specify a location and so it forced evacuations in multiple campuses across the state.

All campuses at Eastern Oklahoma State College have the all-clear as of 9 p.m. Monday, but Monday afternoon Oklahoma Highway Patrol K-9s searched for bombs. The college’s President Janet Wansick said she wasn’t taking any chances.

Every student and staff member was quickly evacuated from all of Eastern Oklahoma State’s four campuses.

“I called the campus police officer first and said, ‘Let’s get them out of here,'” Wansick said.

Wansick said it started just before 12 p.m. when an employee got an email threatening the school.

“Basically, it said that there were pipe bombs planted throughout the campus and there could be an active shooter in the afternoon,” Wansick said.

Police searched each campus throughout the afternoon but were unable to find anything.

Despite the all-clear, the investigation is far from over. Several agencies are working to trace the email to find out who sent it and why.

Wansick said every student and staff member was kept safe and they all wanted to thank the community who responded with open arms.

“Our community reached out in a great way. They made sure the students were taken care of, had a place to be, were able to be fed,” Wansick said.

Students have the all clear to head back to their dorms, but several school buildings will stay locked down Monday night.


Latest Stories

Legislative Update With Senator Bill Coleman

An update from last week. Session will get underway Monday — Our first major deadline is...

As James nears record, Tuesday’s Lakers-Thunder game moved to TNT

NEW YORK (AP) — The NBA has further adjusted the schedule of nationally televised games with...

Oklahoma AG apologizes for cabinet secretary’s indictment

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Oklahoma’s new attorney general has apologized to one of Gov. Kevin Stitt’s...