Muskogee Woman Dies In Apartment Fire

Ponca City Now - September 24, 2013 6:58 am

MUSKOGEE, Okla. (AP) – Authorities say a fire that killed a 35-year-old Muskogee woman likely started in the kitchen.

Muskogee Fire Chief, Derek Tatum said Monday that Shannon Covey died in the fire over the weekend at Emerald Apartments. A neighbor tells the Muskogee Phoenix that she noticed smoke coming out of Covey’s air conditioner unit Saturday and called the fire department.

The fire chief says the blaze started in Covey’s kitchen and that she likely fell asleep while cooking. The medical examiner will determine Covey’s cause of death, but Tatum says preliminary reports show Covey may have died from smoke inhalation.

Neighbors say Covey had twin daughters and two sons, but they were not at the apartment at the time of the fire.

 

Latest Stories

Oklahoma coronavirus case number averages are declining

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The rolling average of coronavirus cases in Oklahoma is declining, according to...

Virus-related unemployment claims rise in Oklahoma

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The Oklahoma Employment Security Commission says virus-related claims for unemployment benefits, including...

Oklahoma court stays ruling, killer remains in state custody

(AP) — The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals has stayed its ruling that overturns a man’s...