Man who died at Burning Man was attending for first time

Team Radio Marketing Group - September 5, 2017 8:32 am

RENO, Nev. (AP) – The mother of a man who died after plunging into a massive fire at the Burning Man festival says he was attending the festival in Nevada for the first time.
Authorities say Aaron Joel Mitchell wasn’t under the influence of alcohol, but toxicology tests are underway for other drugs.
Mitchell’s mother told the Reno Gazette-Journal that he worked in construction and loved the outdoors.
Johnnye Mitchell says her son was from McAlester, Oklahoma, and had been living in Switzerland with his wife.
The 41-year-old man died after breaking through two layers of security as a giant wooden effigy burned on Saturday.
The festival ended Sunday with the burning of another giant wooden figure. About 50,000 people attended that signature ceremony.

 

Latest Stories

State coronavirus cases soar to one-day record increase

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — There is a one-day record increase of more than 1,800 newly reported...

OSU president announces plans to retire

STILLWATER, Okla. (AP) — Oklahoma State University President Burns Hargis has announced plans to retire at...

16-year-old surrenders in fatal shooting of 12-year-old

MIDWEST CITY, Okla. (AP) — Police in an Oklahoma City suburb say that a 16-year-old boy...