Historic fountain returns downtown
Beverly Bryant - October 27, 2016 10:54 am
A cast iron fountain from Ponca City's early days returns to Fourth Street and Grand Avenue.
The first watering fountain in Ponca City has returned to its roots at Fourth Street and Grand Avenue.
The 1902 fountain, originally located north of its present site, between Grand Avenue and the alleyway on the west side of Fourth Street, now is at home on the corner next to the Veterans Plaza.
The fountain has been restored and has new paint which accents the raised floral images in bronze and gold colors.
In 1954 when the piece needed restoration, the Daughters of the American Revolution provided the restoration. Through the years it has been repainted to help protect the cast iron.
The fountain contains three bowls once used to offer water to downtown travelers — one for people, one for horses and one for dogs.
With the construction of the Veterans Plaza, the fountain was removed for safekeeping by the Park and Recreation Department. The Ponca City Historic Reenactors Group found out about the fountain’s deteriorating condition and stepped up to help. With donations collected over the past 20 years from historic presentations, the group donated the money for another restoration of the fountain in memory of Phil Bandy, the group’s founder, who passed away two years ago.
A brief dedication is expected to be held in the near future.