Forestry Service reports damages from wildfires
Ponca City Now - April 13, 2018 12:01 pm
The Oklahoma Forestry Services has released a report on this week’s outbreak of wildfires.
“The fire environment unfortunately lived up to the forecast and predictions yesterday with significant fire activity in Oklahoma,” the report said.
Very strong burning conditions in western Oklahoma during the overnight hours on the heels of blow-up conditions during the afternoon drove fires to meet the rate of fire spread predictions.
Numerous evacuations have been established and are ongoing in northwest Oklahoma.
An extremely complex fire environment will be in place today with a cold front forecast to impact the ongoing fires as well as new fire occurrence expected. A more widespread Red Flag Warning will be in place today with a dry line pushing east complicated by a cold front.
Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Forestry – Forestry Services
PROTECTION AREA STATISTICS* for Reporting Period 0800 04/12/18 thru 0800 04/13/18
NE Area – 9 Fires Burned 325.25 Acres (5-Incendiary, 4-Escaped Debris)
EC Area – 4 Fires Burned 92 Acres (2-Incendiary, 1-Escaped Debris, 1-Escaped Control Burn)
SE Area – 2 Fires Burned 21 Acres (1-Incendiary, 1-Equipment)
Large / Significant Fire Activity within the Protection Area:
- West Liberty Fire (Haskell County) – 418 Acres / 95% Contained
- Pine Springs Ranch (Cherokee County – 200 (Est) / 80% Contained
Fire Activity with OFS Response outside of the Protection Area:
- 34 Complex (Woodward County) – 115,000 Acres (Est), 0% Contained
- Rhea Fire (Dewey County) – 82,000 Acres (Est), 0% Contained
- Shaw Fire (Roger Mills County) – 3,500 Acres (Est), 25% Contained
- Roadside Fire (Woodward County) – 1,500 Acres (Est), 10% Contained
- 66 Fire (Lincoln County) – 150 Acres, 50% Contained
- Anderson Road Fire (Logan County) – 60 Acres, 50% Contained
- Brake Road Fire (Kay County) – 400 Acres (Est) / 90% Contained
- Hwy 11 Fire (Kay County – 350 Acres (Est) / 95% Contained
OFS Prescribed Fire Activity: No New activity