FLOODING: Highway Conditions 5-29-19 as of 11 a.m.
Ponca City Now - May 29, 2019 11:20 am
EDITOR’S NOTE: With historic rainfall since winter 2018 through the spring, many roads are closed, including some construction projects due to rivers and creeks rising too high for some work to continue.
- Be alert to any water over driving lanes;
- Don’t drive around barricades;
- Don’t pull over to take photos or sightsee as many river and creek banks are unstable.
The department is not able to predict closures and conditions continue to change rapidly statewide. The agency will keep highways open for as long as it is safe to do so. Travel is discouraged in the hardest hit areas of eastern and northeastern Oklahoma as flooding conditions continue to rapidly change.
As water levels subside, ODOT and the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority will assess existing pavement conditions for needed repairs and also construction timetables for further changes and updates. Drivers are encouraged to be prepared and partner with these agencies as they address these needs and possible delays. ODOT wants drivers to be prepared for more inconvenience and travel impacts this summer for repairs after this spring’s flooding.
The following highways are closed until further notice due to flooding:
***Note: SEQUOYAH CO: East and westbound US-64 is closed between Roland, Okla., and Fort Smith, Ark. All traffic is detoured to I-40. WAGONER CO.: Southbound US-69 is closed north of Muskogee at the Arkansas River. Drivers should use SH-51 or locate an alternate route such as SH-351/Muskogee Turnpike, which has eliminated tolls between US-69 and SH-165.***
- SH-8 is OPEN between US-64 and SH-58 near Burlington.
- SH-38 is closed between SH-11 and Nescatunga near the Great Salt Plains Lake.
- SH-8B is closed from SH-8 west to Aline.
- The I-40 southern service road (old Route 66) is closed at MM19 near Sayre for extended repairs due to road damage.
- SH-80 is closed four miles west of Hulbert near Fort Gibson Lake.
- SH-80 is closed near the Canyon Rd. access area just north of Fort Gibson.
- SH-127 is closed just west of US-59 near Jay due to a damaged drainage structure.
- SH-48A is closed to through traffic between the SH-48 junction in Coleman and SH-7 in Milburn due to a damaged construction detour.
- US-177 is OPEN just north of SH-11 in Blackwell.
- US-77 is closed between SH-156 and southern Tonkawa.
- SH-156 is closed between Marland and US-60/US-177.
- SH-9A is closed northeast of Spiro, west of Fort Smith, Ark.
- SH-74F is closed between Cashion and SH-33 due to pavement damage.
- SH-77 Scenic is closed at Lake Murray Spillway.
- SH-10 is closed at Big Greenleaf Creek 3.5 miles south of Braggs.
- SH-10 is closed two miles east of the US-62 junction near Fort Gibson.
- US-62 is closed between SH-80 near Fort Gibson and SH-165 in Muskogee.
- SH-104 is closed at Coal Creek just east of Haskell.
- Southbound SH-165 is closed at US-62 in Muskogee. Drivers are detoured west on US-62. Northbound SH-165 is narrowed to one lane at US-62.
- SH-10 is closed east of US-169 near Lenapah due to damage to a drain.
- SH-28 is closed between US-60 and US-169 near Nowata.
- SH-169 is closed 3.5 miles north of US-60 near Delaware.
- US-169 is closed 3.5 miles north of US-60.
- SH-10 is closed between SH-69A and US-69.
- SH-125 is closed one mile south of SH-10 in Miami.
- US-59/SH-10 is closed one mile west of US-69 near Miami.
- US-69 is closed between SH-125 and US-59/SH-10 near Miami.
- US-169 is closed eight miles north of SH-88 near Talala.
- SH-88 is closed seven miles east of US-169 near Oologah.
- US-64 is closed between Roland, Okla. and Fort Smith, Ark. All traffic is detoured to I-40.
- SH-64D is closed from I-40 east of Roland to US-64 west of Fort Smith, Ark.
- US-64/SH-100 is closed from the US-64/SH-100 junction near Webbers Falls to east of the Ray Fine bridge near Gore.
- SH-51 is closed between 145 W. Ave. and Avery Dr. near SH-97 in Sand Springs. S 113 W. Ave. will remain open.
- Southbound US-69 is closed north of Muskogee at the Arkansas River. Drivers should use SH-51 or locate an alternate route such as SH-351/Muskogee Turnpike, which has eliminated tolls between US-69 and SH-165.
- SH-16 is closed near the Muskogee Turnpike just north of Muskogee.
- SH-16 is closed northwest of Okay.
- SH-72 is closed from East 201st South to just north of the Arkansas River bridge near Coweta
- SH-123 is closed between Bartlesville and Dewey.
- US-64 is closed between SH-14, west of Alva, and SH-50 near Freedom due to a damaged construction detour. Detour is SH-14 to US-412 to SH-50.
To check CURRENT ROAD CONDITIONS in Oklahoma, call
ODOT’s ROAD CONDITIONS HOTLINE at 844-4OK-HWYS (844-465-4997)
or go to www.okroads.org. For turnpike information, call the
Oklahoma Turnpike Authority at 877-403-7623 or go to http://www.pikepass.com
For more statewide emergency-related information visit https://www.ok.gov/OEM/
For Arkansas road conditions visit https://idrivearkansas.com/