Five additions to National Register of Historic Places brings Ponca City total to 24
Beverly Bryant - August 16, 2019 11:33 am
Five more properties in Ponca City were added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 15, 2019, bringing the city’s total of registered properties to 24, in addition to the Downtown Historic District and several locations in Kay County outside the city limits.
The new additions are:
- The Charlotte Marland House, 919 East Grand Avenue
- First Presbyterian Church, 1505 East Grand Avenue
- The Ponca City Milling Company Elevator (Robin Hood elevator), 114 West Central Avenue
- The Ponca City Power Plant, 1420 North Union Street
- Temple Emanuel, 1201 East Highland Avenue
The properties were nominated for inclusion on the National Register by Ponca City’s Historic Preservation Advisory Panel. Nominations were prepared by a consultant contracted by the panel, reveiwed and submitted to the State Historic Preservation Office in Oklahoma City.
Once reviewed by the SHPO and approved at the state level, they were submitted to the Keeper of the Register in the National Park Service in Washington, D.C., for final approval.
Ponca City now has 24 sites listed on the National Register, posted with the property’s address and date it was added to the Register:
- Attucks Community Center, 1001 South 12th, 12/4/17.
- Blaine Stadium & Fieldhouse [WPA Public Buildings, Recreational Facilities & Water Quality Improvements in Northwestern Oklahoma, 1935-1943 TR], 5th & Brookfield, 9/8/88.
- Darr School of Aeronautics Hanger No. 3, SW of Jct. of Darr Park Drive & Lindsey Road, 9/8/06.
- Donahoe, Daniel J., House, 302 South 7th, 3/10/82.
- Downtown Ponca City Historic District, roughly bounded by Pine, Chestnut, 7th, & Central Avenue, 3/21/11.
- First Church of Christ Scientist, 300 North 3rd, 3/9/15.
- First Presbyterian Church, 1505 East Grand Avenue, 7/15/19.
- Hatashita, Henry C., House, 1408 Pioneer Road, 12/13/16.
- Lake Ponca Duck Pond Historic District, Jct. of L.A. Cann Drive & Edam Road, 12/8/15.
- Marland, Charlotte, House, 919 East Grand Avenue, 7/15/19,.
- Marland, E.W., Mansion, Monument Road, 4/11/73, National Historic Landmark,12/22/77.
- Marland-Paris House, 1000 East Grand, 9/28/76.
- McGraw, James J., House, 400 North 4th, 12/4/17.
- 101 Rodeo Arena, 2600 North Ash, 12/4/17.
- Pioneer Woman Statue, Monument Circle, 8/31/78.
- Ponca City Milling Company Elevator, 114 West Central Avenue, 7/15/19.
- Ponca City Power Plant, 1420 North Union, 7/15/19.
- Poncan Theatre, 104 East Grand Avenue, 11/13/84.
- Roosevelt Elementary School, 815 East Highland Avenue, 12/4/17.
- Santa Fe Depot, railroad right-of-way near Jct. of South 1st & West Oklahoma, 3/12/12.
- Soldani Mansion, 819 East Central, 6/25/82.
- St. John Baptist Church and Rectory, 1009 South 11th, 3/9/15.
- Temple Emanuel, 1201 East Highland Avenue, 7/15/19.
- Wentz Camp, Jct. of L.A. Cann Drive & East Prospect Avenue (South Side), 9/3/10.