Federal jury clears Oklahoma deputy in fatal shooting

The Associated Press and Tulsa World - July 21, 2019 10:52 am

(Information from: Tulsa World, http://www.tulsaworld.com)
TULSA, Okla. (AP) – A federal jury has cleared a Mayes County deputy accused in a lawsuit of violating the civil rights of a man he fatally shot more than five years ago.
The Tulsa World reports that the jury in Tulsa on Thursday found that Deputy Kyle Wilson did not use excessive force in the January 1st, 2014, shooting death of 33-year-old Shane Bridges at Bridges’ home near Chelsea, about 40 miles (64 kilometers) northeast of Tulsa.
Bridges’ widow, Janelle Bridges, contended that her husband was inside his home when Wilson shot through the closed front door, killing him.
Wilson, who was previously cleared of wrongdoing by the District Attorney, said that Bridges was on his front porch firing a handgun at him when he fired 13 times, striking Bridges twice.

 

Latest Stories

Native American leaders push for boarding school commission

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — U.S. Interior Secretary Deb Haaland says the federal government has a responsibility...

Investigator: DNA could identify 2 Tulsa massacre victims

TULSA, OKLAHOMA (AP) — Investigators seeking to identify victims of the Tulsa Race Massacre have found...

Harvard returns Standing Bear’s tomahawk to Nebraska tribe

BOSTON (AP) — Harvard has returned a tomahawk once owned by a pioneering Native American civil...