Fall family movie series resumes at Arkansas City Park
Team Radio Marketing Group - October 11, 2017 2:11 pm
ARKANSAS CITY, Kansas — The 2017 Fall Family Movie Series will kick off at 6 p.m. Friday, Oct. 13, in Arkansas City with two Marvel hits under the Wilson Park rotunda, 701 N. Summit Street.
The 2014 smash surprise “Guardians of the Galaxy” will kick off the weekend, followed by its sequel from earlier this year, “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” with a start time of approximately 8:15 p.m.
In the first installment, a group of intergalactic criminals are forced to work together to stop a fanatical warrior from taking control of the universe.
The sequel follows the Guardians as they fight to keep their newfound family together while unraveling the mystery of Peter Quill’s true parentage.
Both films are rated PG-13, so parental discretion is advised for all families. Admission is free.
The fall movie series will continue at 7 p.m. Oct. 24 under the rotunda with a special showing of the John Candy comedy classic, “The Great Outdoors,” sponsored by the Arkalalah Executive Committee.
The movie will cap an evening of celebration as the restored BNSF train engine is unveiled during a unique 2017 Arkalalah Festival kickoff event. The festivities will begin at 5:30 p.m. in Wilson Park.
The fall movie slate will wrap up at 6 p.m. Nov. 3 with Disney’s live-action “Beauty and the Beast.”
This year’s staggered “every other week” schedule allows for movies to be postponed until the following Friday in case of inclement weather.
“We are so appreciative of the generous sponsors who make these wonderful events possible,” said City Manager Nick Hernandez. All told, a total of 16 sponsored movies will be shown for free in 2017.
“If you are interested in being a sponsor this fall or you represent a nonprofit that would like to serve concessions, please call myself or Public Information Officer Andrew Lawson at (620) 441-4415 to discuss your options,” Hernandez said.
About the Outdoor Friday Family Movie Series
The 2015 Outdoor Summer Movie Series was a huge success in the debut season for the new V.J. Wilkins Memorial Stage at the rotunda, with particularly large crowds viewing “Big Hero 6” and “Frozen.”
The projection equipment, sound system and stage all were made possible by a grant received three years ago from the V.J. Wilkins Memorial Foundation, in order to promote arts throughout the city.
A special fall showing of “Inside Out” drew more than 300 people to the rotunda in November 2015, despite colder temperatures. Plans were launched then for more autumn showings in 2016 and 2017.
Various weather conditions impacted attendance often last spring and summer, but the season’s highlight undoubtedly was in June 2016, when more than 700 people packed Paris Park Pool for a special doubleheader, consisting of “Finding Nemo” and “Jaws,” during a free swim-in night at the pool.
The sequel event, featuring “Finding Dory,” drew more than 500 visitors to the pool on July 21, 2017.
During the last three years, the City of Arkansas City has shown a wide variety of movies, including:
- ’80s classics — “Back to the Future,” “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” “Ghostbusters,” “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” and “¡Three Amigos!”
- Classic Disney films — “The Fox and the Hound,” “The Jungle Book,” “Mary Poppins” and “Pete’s Dragon”
- Disney animated features — “Big Hero 6,” “Frozen,” “Moana” and “Zootopia”
- Disney live-action remakes — “Cinderella” and “Maleficent”
- Disney-Pixar animated collaborations — “Finding Dory,” “Finding Nemo,” “The Good Dinosaur” and “Inside Out”
- Marvel Cinematic Universe films — “Doctor Strange”
- Other animated films — “The Lego Batman Movie,” “The Lego Movie,” “The Lorax,” “Minions,” “The Secret Life of Pets” and “Sing”
- Star Wars movies — “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” “Star Wars: A New Hope” and “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”
- Summer and holiday blockbusters — “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” “Jaws,” “Jurassic Park,” “Jurassic World,” “Monster Trucks” and “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows”
The Outdoor Friday Family Movie Series only has been possible with the assistance of many generous donors, including:
- Civic and service clubs such as the Arkansas City High School KAY Club, the Kiwanis Club, and the Optimists and Soroptimists of Arkansas City;
- Local businesses such as Ark City Daily Bytes, Ark Valley Credit Union, Community National Bank & Trust, Elite Advertising, Grass Clippings, Mitch Reichle—Farm Bureau Financial Services, Munson Insurance, Plumber Bob’s, RCB Bank, Reedy Ford, Rogers Family Dentistry, The Stock Exchange Bank, Union State Bank, and WB Meats;
- Governmental entities such as the Arkansas City Convention and Visitors Bureau, Arkansas City Public Library, and City of Arkansas City;
- Nonprofit organizations such as the Arkalalah Executive Committee, the Arkansas City Area Chamber of Commerce, the Fraternal Order of Police, Newkirk (Oklahoma) Main Street, Newman’s Quest and the Young Professionals of Cowley County.
For more information on becoming a sponsor for an upcoming movie, call Public Information Officer Andrew Lawson at (620) 441-4415 or email [email protected].