Ex-reserve deputy loses appeal for bail in fatal shooting

Ponca City Now - May 21, 2016 2:01 pm

TULSA, Okla. (AP) – A former Oklahoma volunteer sheriff’s deputy convicted of fatally shooting an unarmed man has again been denied bail while he awaits sentencing.

The Tulsa World reports that the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals denied Robert Bates’ appeal Friday. A Tulsa County District judge denied Bates’ bail request on May 3.

The 74-year-old had cited medical issues as a reason he should be released, but the judge said state law prohibits bail on appeal for those convicted of a felony while possessing a firearm.

Bates was convicted April 27 of second-degree manslaughter in the shooting of Eric Harris during an illegal gun-sales sting. Bates said he mistook his handgun for his stun gun.

A jury has recommended that he serve four years in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for May 31.

 

Latest Stories

Mike and the Dirty Boys Take the Stage for June Full Moon Concert

Mike and the Dirty Boys will headline the Full Moon Concert on Friday, June 21 in Tonkawa...

State Election Board Offers Tips and Reminders Ahead of June 18 Primary

(Oklahoma City) – Voters head to the polls Tuesday for the June 18 Primary Election and...

THE HEAT DOME: HEALTH OFFICIALS OFFER SUMMER SAFETY REMINDERS

TULSA, Okla. – It’s already hot across much of the country and over the last year, heat...