The district will be providing summer school for a limited number of students in grades K-3. The purpose of this extended instruction time is to help students achieve grade level status and address learning gaps. The curriculum will consist of time spent in the Learning Management System, Imagine Learning, Monitored Independent Reading Practice (MIRP), small group guided reading instruction, whole group close reading instruction, and instruction in phonics and phonological awareness. Teachers will also focus on increasing vocabulary and background knowledge to help students with comprehension.
Research indicates that one of the best ways to increase reading levels is to simply read at higher volumes. Our hope is that by increasing the amount of time students are actively engaged in reading books and the extended learning time provided by teachers will help increase student motivation, fluency levels, vocabulary, and comprehension. Time spent working in Imagine Learning will provide students with differentiated instruction as students will be working on skills they are missing.
The dates and times for this summer school are as follows:
• Every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday during the month of June and July.
• Dates include: (June 14, 15, 16) (June 21, 22, 23) (June 28, 29, 30) (July 5, 6, 7)
• Each day will begin at 8 a.m. and conclude at noon with lunch being served from 11:30-12:00
• Summer School for all elementary students (K-3rd Grade) will occur at Liberty Elementary located at 505 West Liberty. The phone number at Liberty is 580-767-8040
• A grab and go style breakfast will be available daily.
• Buses will pick up students from their home school sites to transport them to Liberty. For example: If your child normally attends Woodlands they will be picked up and dropped off at Woodlands. If your child needs transportation they must be enrolled and you must contact the Transportation Office at 580-767-8088 to inform the transportation office that your child will ride the bus.
• Students who ride the buses will be dropped off at the front entrance of the school. When parents contact the Transportation Office about their child riding the bus they will be provided approximate pick-up times for AM and PM to meet buses daily.
• Students who will be dropped off and picked up by parents daily will use the entrance on the West side of Liberty Elementary which is also the parking lot. Each student will be provided with a ticket to place on the right front side of their car window displaying their child’s first and last name. A staff member will greet students for morning drop-off and a staff member will call out student names over a walkie talkie app for students to be loaded into cars. Keep in mind summer school consists of students from all over the district. It is also taught by staff who are not familiar with parents and students. Please be patient the first few days as staff get to know students and parents. Our primary goal is to ensure students are placed in the correct vehicle and student safety is our priority. Expect to wait for the first few days during pick-up so we can be sure this happens as quickly and safely as possible.
• Please contact the Liberty office at 580-767-8040 to report a positive COVID case to administrators so the school system can conduct tracing. If a child needs to be picked up early please try to contact staff early in the day or during morning drop off.
Note: Attendance is very important. This opportunity is being offered to help students who are behind in their learning. Make every effort to ensure your child can benefit from this extended learning time.
Please contact the Liberty office at 580-767-8040 if your child will be absent. We will not have a secretary for summer school but will try to answer phone calls as much as possible. The acting principal will also be busy supervising and disciplining students.