Donations are Down at the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma
Team Radio Marketing Group - December 7, 2016 12:39 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY – ‘Tis the season of giving and the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma is asking the community to help fight hunger in the state.
The nonprofit reports that monetary donations are down compared to the same time last year and support from the community is needed to ensure that Oklahomans have enough to eat this winter.
“Hunger never takes a holiday,” said Katie Fitzgerald, chief executive officer of the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma. “We need your help to ensure that families and seniors are able to put food on the table. Please join us in fighting hunger this winter.”
Here are a few ways to give that are sure to spread holiday cheer:
- Embrace the spirit of giving. Thanks to a generous matching challenge from APMEX.com, the Cresap Family Foundation and Chesapeake Energy Corporation, every gift received through Jan. 15 will be matched, dollar for dollar – up to $600,000, for a total impact of $1.2 million. Every dollar donated will have double the impact and will provide 10 meals for Oklahomans struggling with hunger this winter. To make a donation, call (405) 600-3136 or visit regionalfoodbank.org.
- Spread cheer and volunteer. During each shift, volunteers pack enough food to fill a tractor trailer with food. Sign up now to volunteer in January and February.
- Shine a light on hunger. Visit the Downs Family Christmas, located at 2900 72nd Ave. S.E. in Norman, from 6 to 10 p.m. this holiday season to see more than 13 miles of lights flicker in the night. While the show is free to enjoy, food and fund donations for the Regional Food Bank are encouraged.
- Make a gift in honor or memory of a loved one. Make a gift in honor or in memory of your loved ones by sending a Holiday eCard and make a difference in the life of a hungry Oklahoman.
- Spread holiday cheer. When you do your Holiday shopping at AmazonSmile, Amazon donates 0.5 percent of the purchase price to Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma. Bookmark the link http://bitly.com/RFBOAmazon and support Oklahomans struggling with hunger every time you shop.
- Perk Place Cafe will donate 25 cents from each transaction to the Regional Food Bank’s Food for Kids programs. Perk Place Cafe is located at 1649 W 33rd St. in Edmond.
- Watch Lyric Theatre’s A Christmas Carol. Lyric will once again raise money for the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma during the run of A Christmas Carol, presented by Devon Energy. The show runs through December 24 at the Plaza Theatre. Funds will be raised through the collection of cash donations at the end of each performance.
- Cheer on Enes Kanter at the OKC Thunder home games. For every rebound and basket Enes makes during December’s home games, he will donate 10 meals to the Regional Food Bank’s Food for Kids program.
The Regional Food Bank is the state’s largest private, domestic hunger-relief organization, providing enough food to feed more than 126,000 hungry Oklahomans every week through a network of more than 1,300 charitable feeding programs and schools in 53 central and western Oklahoma counties.
Together, we can solve hunger this holiday season. For more information visit regionalfoodbank.org or call 405-972-1111.