Department of Education, Health Department issue Spring Break advice
Ponca City Now - March 10, 2020 12:41 pm
The Oklahoma State Department of Health and the Oklahoma State Department of Education are partnering to provide specific guidance regarding Spring Break and other travels for school families, students and district staff. A letter from Joy Hofmeister, State Superintendent of Public Instruction is listed below.
“The Oklahoma State Department of Health and the Oklahoma State Department of Education are partnering to provide specific guidance regarding Spring Break and other travels for our school families, students and district staff.
“Individuals returning from travel to China, South Korea, Italy, Iran, Japan or any other Level 2 or 3 country as identified by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) should self-quarantine for a period of 14 days before returning to school. This applies to all students, teachers, and other school or district staff.
Steps for returning travelers from Level 2 or 3 countries:
- Take your temperature with a thermometer two times a day and monitor for fever. Also watch for cough or trouble breathing.
- Stay home and avoid contact with others. Do not go to work or school for this 14-day period. Discuss your work situation with your district before returning to work or school.
- Do not take public transportation, taxis, or ride-shares during the time you are practicing social distancing.
- Avoid crowded places (such as shopping centers and movie theaters) and limit your activities in public.
- Keep your distance from others (about 6 feet).
Please refer frequently to the CDC Travelers Guidance as other countries may be elevated to Level 2 or 3 at any time.
District employees may use any available sick leave during a required 14-day self-quarantine.
Thank you for your careful attention to student and staff safety. We will provide additional guidance in the coming days. In the meantime, if you have questions related to COVID-19, please contact OSDE Chief of Staff Phil Bacharach at 405-521-4894 or [email protected].”