Couples can use marriage certificate for licenses

Ponca City Now - October 9, 2014 7:52 am

TULSA, Okla. (AP) – Same-sex couples in Oklahoma may now use a marriage certificate issued either in Oklahoma or another state to change a name on an Oklahoma-issued driver license or identification card.

Wednesday’s announcement by the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety came after some same-sex couples encountered mixed responses when they went to get driver’s licenses this week with their married names.

Captain George Brown tells the Tulsa World the agency issued guidance to driver’s license service employees and to 274 independently-operated tag agencies.

Same-sex marriage became legal in Oklahoma on Monday, after the U.S. Supreme Court declined to take up appeals from five states seeking to preserve their bans.

The high court’s decision effectively made such marriages legal in 30 states.


Latest Stories

OSDH: 15 new COVID-19 deaths reported in Oklahoma

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – Authorities say the state’s COVID-19 cases have climbed by more than 5,000...

Two arrested in connection to scam targeting older Oklahomans

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – Authorities say they have arrested two people in connection to a scam...

Annual Match Supports Regional Food Bank’s Food for Kids Programs

Double Your Impact in the Fight Against Childhood Hunger in Kay County with $224,000 Match Campaign...