Blackwell students well after school gas leak

Ponca City Now - January 26, 2015 12:17 pm

Blackwell School Superintendent Rick Riggs said at noon today that students at Blackwell High School were all fine following a gas leak earlier this morning.

Riggs said that between 8:30 and 9 a.m. his office received a call reporting that some students had passed out at the gym. Eight students were transported to Blackwell Regional Hospital by ambulances. Others were taken by bus to be checked out.

In all, a total of 35 students and three faculty members went to the hospital. They have been examined, treated if necessary and released.

Riggs said the school shut down the building and the gas company, fire department and district maintenance crew were called in to find the problem.

"The staff and all the first responders and everyone in down did a good job," Riggs said.

The gym is in a separate building east of the main high school building. The students in the gym were middle school students.

Blackwell Fire Chief Dirk Seabridge said there was a malfunction in the furnace. The gas to the building was shut off and the school maintenance crew contacted a heating contractor to make repairs.

"The school did a really good job. They had the building evacuated by the time we got there," Seabridge said.

 

Latest Stories

Rising Construction Costs Could Impact Your Homeowners Insurance

By Oklahoma Insurance Commissioner Glen Mulready   If you recently started a home improvement project, you probably have noticed the...

Sen. Kay Floyd to study OSBI’s response to sexual assaults

OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma’s sexual assault and rape kit backlog is continuing to pile up, and...

Police: Suspect targeting older Oklahomans with latest scam

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – Oklahoma City police say they are warning older Oklahomans about a scam...