Blackwell students well after school gas leak

Ponca City Now - January 26, 2015 12:17 pm

Blackwell School Superintendent Rick Riggs said at noon today that students at Blackwell High School were all fine following a gas leak earlier this morning.

Riggs said that between 8:30 and 9 a.m. his office received a call reporting that some students had passed out at the gym. Eight students were transported to Blackwell Regional Hospital by ambulances. Others were taken by bus to be checked out.

In all, a total of 35 students and three faculty members went to the hospital. They have been examined, treated if necessary and released.

Riggs said the school shut down the building and the gas company, fire department and district maintenance crew were called in to find the problem.

"The staff and all the first responders and everyone in down did a good job," Riggs said.

The gym is in a separate building east of the main high school building. The students in the gym were middle school students.

Blackwell Fire Chief Dirk Seabridge said there was a malfunction in the furnace. The gas to the building was shut off and the school maintenance crew contacted a heating contractor to make repairs.

"The school did a really good job. They had the building evacuated by the time we got there," Seabridge said.

 

Latest Stories

Grady County Deputy Shot By Suspect Treated, Released From Hospital

GRADY COUNTY, Okla. –  Authorities said at least one Grady County deputy was shot late Friday morning near Bridge...

Late Night Work Tonight at New Police Department Construction Area

The Ponca City Police Department and the City of Ponca City are asking the public to...

Po-Hi Student Schedule, I.D. and Assigned Parking Sticker Pick-Up is Set for Next Week

Students 10th through 12th grades can pick up their schedules and Student ID’s from the Ponca...