Are you ready to vote in the primary election runoffs?

Ponca City Now - July 11, 2014 6:53 am

Voters will hit the polls again this August for the primary election runoffs. There were county and statewide elections that require a second vote because no candidate won by 51 percent. Although, the election on August 26 is more than a month away if you want to vote by absentee ballot or register to vote in this election now is the time to do it.

Cheryl Howard, Kay County Election Board Secretary said voters have exactly three weeks to apply to vote in this election. To apply you must be a U.S. Citizen, Oklahoma resident and at least 18. All you have to do to apply is fill out and mail in an Oklahoma Voter Registration form. These can be found at the Election Board office in the courthouse in Newkirk or here . If your application is approved you will receive a voter identification card in the mail. Applications must be postmarked by August 1, or else you won’t be approved in time for the August 26 election.

Another method of voting is by absentee ballot. Absentee voters will have a ballot mailed to them, which they will fill out and mail back by August 26. Howard said any registered voter may vote by absentee ballot without a reason or excuse. However, by stating a reason you may activate special conditions that make it easier.

The accepted reasons are:

1. Voters who are physically incapacitated and voters who care for physically incapacitated persons who cannot be left unattended may vote absentee.

2. Voters who are confined to nursing homes in the county may vote absentee. An Absentee Voting Board actually goes to the nursing home a few days before the election, sets up a small polling place and allows these persons to vote under circumstances similar to those at a regular precinct polling place.

3. Military personnel and residents of the county living overseas and the spouses and dependents of each group are eligible to vote absentee without being registered. These voters may apply only by mail or by fax. Military personnel should contact the Voting Service Officers in their units for applications forms and additional information. Residents of Oklahoma living overseas can obtain the same materials from United States Embassies and Consulates. Military personnel and overseas citizens also can download and print the appropriate applications form here.

Although you can apply for absentee voting until August 20,The Kay County Election Board is asking you take action now. These applications can also be found at the Kay County Courthouse or at the Oklahoma State Election board website.

This ballot will also include special elections for the Newkirk and Frontier School District.

Click here to see a list of candidates who will be on the August 26 primary election runoff ballot.


Latest Stories

21 Oklahoma Counties Under Hay Quarantine: Fire Ants

The United States Department of Agriculture has issued a hay quarantine for 21 counties due to...

Joint Statement Issued by OU and UT at Austin; Seeking SEC Invitation

The University of Oklahoma and The University of Texas at Austin sent the attached request to...

Rep. Lucas : ‘I’m vaccinated … and you should be too’

TULSA, Okla. (KTUL) – Rep. Frank Lucas is urging Oklahomans to get vaccinated against COVID-19. In...