19 bodies reburied amid protests in search for Tulsa victims

The Associated Press - August 1, 2021 5:38 am

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — The bodies of 19 people exhumed from a Tulsa cemetery during a search for Tulsa Race Massacre victims have been reburied while protesters objected outside the cemetery.

The remains were exhumed in June during a search for mass graves of potential victims of the 1921 massacre.

City spokesperson Michelle Brooks said Friday’s reburial was required as part of the plan that allowed them to be removed.

Several of the approximately two dozen protesters said they are descendants of massacre victims and should have been allowed to attend the ceremony that was closed to the public.

Investigators have not confirmed any of the remains were massacre victims.

 

Latest Stories

ELIGIBLE OKLAHOMA TEENS GUARANTEED DRIVING TEST SPOT ON 16TH BIRTHDAY

Service Oklahoma launched the “Sweet 16 Guarantee” last month, so eligible teenagers trying to get their...

Drummond Touts Victory in Court Decision Blocking Biden Administration’s Attach on Title IX

OKLAHOMA CITY  – Attorney General Gentner Drummond praised a recent ruling by the U.S. Sixth Circuit...

TULSA POLICE DEPARTMENT ENCOURAGES MORE WOMEN TO CONSIDER LAW ENFORCEMENT

With every lesson and every rep at Tulsa Police Department’s Women in Policing Day, women are...